Please excuse my less than fabulous photos. I accidentally broke my good camera lens this week and until it gets fixed I am stuck using my iphone camera. Anyways…
I am in the middle of organizing my craft/tool supply shelf for my “new” bedroom/craft room. I am so excited about how everything is coming along. I am on a very tight budget, and I stress TIGHT, it’s almost $0. Since I have been determined not to spend money I have been coming up with ideas to upcycle items and materials around the house.
For this project I wanted some nice rustic looking containers to house all of my fabric scraps. Currently they look like an avalanche waiting to happen stuffed in my shelves.
I have to admit, I was very tempted to go out and buy some wire baskets after I saw them in this inspirational office photo from pinterest. Luckily for my budget I could not find any in town that were the right size. And just as I was about to give up all hope of finding a wire basket in a reasonable time frame, I came across a great DIY article on pinterest from That’s My Letter. (Photo pictured below).
This design idea was so simple I was not sure why I didn’t think of it on my own. I guess I was thinking I would need a solid wire frame to keep the sides in place but it turns out I didn’t! She used hardware cloth to make hers. You can buy it a Home Depot or another garden supply store. I found some but it was out of my price range. $50 for 25 feet was way more than I needed. So instead I found some left over chicken wire I was no longer using in the garden. It was the perfect amount to make 3 baskets that measured 10″ high x 12″ wide and 12″ deep.
First I cut out my chicken wire to my dimensions so that it looked like the photo above. Then I folded up my sides and used a pair of pliers to twist the chicken wire ends together to form a box. It was a slow process to make sure there weren’t any sharp ends that could accidentally scratch me or someone else unexpectedly.
This is what my shelves full of fabric looked like before I neatly folded them into their new baskets. See, like I said, an avalanche. Not a pretty sight. I know its bad when my boyfriend starts to comment about it looking like a hoarder dwells in my room!
And here is what it looks like when it is all folded and put away in my new wire baskets. I am very happy with the way they turned out. Especially since I spent no money to make them. I had all the supplies on hand. Once again, excuse my awful pictures. Here is a better one down here:
Yay for organization!