When the weather forecast was predicting rain all of last week I spent my days off finishing up the top layer of my quilt. I chose a quilt pattern that was simple and didn’t take too long to cut and piece together. This was key in choosing a quilt pattern since I am not the greatest at matching up seems and making my lines straight. It is also a very large quilt so I didn’t want to be slaving over my sewing machine for weeks. When I am finished it will end up being 80″x 80″. Large enough to cover a queen sized bed. I only have a full sized bed in the extra room but someday I might trade it out for a larger mattress.
I am really excited about my fabric selection. I love the greys and all the turquoise colors. And the red just gives it an extra pop of color. The red will also tie in the reds from my dresser and desk.
The only thing in retrospect that I might have done differently was make the squares larger. From far away it looks a bit overwhelming with all the patterns mixed together. But I really like the way it looks close up. And I think it will look great when it is folded at the end of the bed.
This is the pattern I based my design on. You can find the tutorial here http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2010/08/new-easy-quilt-tutorial.html. I won’t even bother trying to describe how to make this. Even though it is a simple pattern, quilting is not my forte and I didn’t want to butcher a perfectly good pattern.
I will say that I made a quilt of 64- 10″ finished squares. I chose 12 different patterns fabrics. I bought 1/2 yard of each which ended up being the perfect amount. I didn’t have any leftovers. But I also didn’t have any room for errors. I might buy a little extra to make some matching pillows later on.
The most time-consuming aspect of this quilt was coming up with a pattern. The best way to go about it is to make a grid on a piece of paper and map out where you want your groups of colors. For example I used grays, turquoise, greens, reds and whites. Once I laid out where my color groups were in relation to each other I went back through and then assigned a pattern to each of the 5 color groups. This was a huge time saver being able to know how many of each squares of each pattern I needed and in what direction they would be facing.
My biggest tip if you decide to try this design is to make sure you know what direction to make your cuts. I accidentally started cutting the first fabric and then realized that I needed some going horizontally and vertically. So now I have some squares in the wrong direction, oops.
Anyways, I am happy with how it is turning out so far. Next week I plan on buying my supplies I need to finish the back. Gotta wait for my next pay check! I will be excited to get all the layers attached and being able to cuddle up in my new hand-made quilt!